Hope Social Club
Time & Location
About the Event
The Hope Social Club is a band whose beginnings originated in and around the small town of Girdwood, Alaska, a hippy ski haven just South of Anchorage. Melissa Mitchell and Spiff lived in the same building and although neither remembers the very first time they jammed, the town of Girdwood gave them plenty of opportunity to hear each other play. Quickly, they became more familiar with each others songs and with easygoing style and effortless harmonies it was a natural fit and a not so random partnership. The rest of the band met there over the last 15 years and sitting in on each others sets became the norm. Multi-instrumentalist Aaron Benolkin joined in anytime he wasn’t playing with his other projects, including The Whipsaws, and his smooth pedal steel and electric guitar added another layer of texture to Melissa and Spiff’s songs. Tim Haren, a rockin' local drummer and creator of Alaska’s own Lefty’s Cajons, along with Tony Restivo, bass player for the iconic Girdwood jam band The Photonz, rounded out the rhythm section. Rik Nielsen, from Valdez, had played and toured with Melissa and just kept adding new instruments to his bag of tricks, including lap steel and Weissenborn, but is most at home ripping his champion electric guitar leads.
Tips for a great evening of fun
- We accept cash and credit cards, but recommend bringing cash along to purchase food and drinks.
- Our big lawn is smoke-free. We will provide plenty of designated smoking areas during the event.
- Bring chairs, blankets, and umbrellas. We will permit tents/canopies for shade in designated areas. (Tent space will be limited, so arrive early!)
- Chef Chris will be cooking food onsite, with freshly-baked pies or treats also available.
- Beer and Wine will be available for purchase. No outside alcoholic beverages permitted at the event.
- General Admission$15$150$0
- Hope Hangout Weekend Pass$25$250$0